- This event has passed.
2020 – BMWCSA – Tire Rack Street Survival Driving School (Cancelled)
June 6, 2020 @ 7:30 am - 4:30 pm
The BMW Club of Southern Alberta is pleased to announce our third
Tire Rack Street Survival (TRSS) School in Calgary on Saturday June 6, 2020!
The Tire Rack Street Survival School starts where traditional driver education programs leave off.
Rather than studying driver’s manual theory, the primary emphasis of the program is a “hands on” driving experience with in-car skills development in a very safe, purpose-built, closely supervised training environment.
When your teen driver, or those with less than 10 years of driving experience, attends a Street Survival school, they learn to control their own car in dynamic exercises that can’t be learned from books or games. They experience the physics of motion in exactly the types of situation that can cause a loss of control! They learn how to make good driving decisions and react more quickly. They become more aware of their own limits and learn to begin anticipating the actions of other drivers.
The program includes:
- Instruction by experienced driving instructors, in the classroom and one-on-one with each student
- Learning and practising emergency braking, accident avoidance, proactive vision, car placement, and car control on slippery surfaces.
- Participate in actual truck blind-spot demonstration and view an airbag release.
- Learning proper seat, hand and mirror positioning for maximum visibility and control.
The event is designed to equip the next generation of drivers with real-world, behind-the-wheel skills that will help to keep them safely on the road. Students bring the vehicle that they normally use and, as a result, learn and understand the response characteristics of their individual car.
BMW ownership or BMWCSA membership is NOT required.
Parents are encouraged (but not required) to spend the day with their student.
How important is it that new drivers learn Street Survival skills? Consider these facts:
- Stats Canada reports that motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of death among drivers in their first 10 years of driving.
- Vehicle accidents account for over 70 percent of accidental deaths in that age group.
- A 16-year-old is 20 percent more likely to be killed in a crash than an adult.
- Nearly 50 percent of teen-driver fatality accidents involve a single vehicle!
Three great videos:
Frequently Asked Questions: : http://streetsurvival.org/schools/frequently-asked-questions/
TRSS School: Saturday June 6th, 2020, 7:30 am to 4:30 pm at the Calgary Police Service Training Grounds.
(Directions to the location will be sent to all registered participants.)
Cost: $125 (including EventBrite fees) for a full day of training, lunch and refreshments.
Student Registration: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/2020-bmwcsa-tire-rack-street-survival-driving-school-tickets-91252926961
What to Bring for Each Participant:
- A valid Alberta Class 5 Driver’s Licence, or equivalent.
- A Class 7 (Learner) licence is acceptable with a minimum of 25 hours road experience.
- A car (alternatively, one car can be shared between 2 participants). Cars are NOT provided. Participants are encouraged to use the car they normally drive to learn how the car would perform in an emergency.
- Signed waiver. Registration kit includes waivers for those over and those under 18. Participants under the age of 18 must have the waiver signed by parent(s) or legal guardian(s).
Help Spread the Word:
If you know anyone who might like to sign up as a volunteer, please invite them.
- Go to https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/2020-tire-rack-street-survival-volunteer-registration-tickets-91254734367
Thanks to our Local Sponsors of Street Survival School 2020:
- Calgary Police and Fire Services, BMWCSA Donors, CCA Truck Driving Training